Monday 29 July 2013

Pier64: The belly is happier than the bank

On the 16th of June 2013 the family and I went to Pier64, a steakhouse, to celebrate Father’s Day. Pier64 is located in Penarth marina – a lovely setting made better by the lovely weather.



With Francis Dupuy (formerly of Le Gallois) at the helm I had high expectations. My expectations were elevated even further when I saw the prices for some of the dishes!

The menu has a good variety of fish, salads and meats and with us celebrating Father’s Day, I opted for the Chateaubriand, reasonably priced at £49.95 (between 2). The quality of the meat was excellent and cooked to perfection (rare), as were the vegetables, cooked al dente, and the rich dauphinoise potatoes worked well with such a lean meat. The red wine jus was beautifully flavoursome.



The meal was excellent and I enjoyed every element. The price is the only thing that would make me think twice before returning. The Chateaubriand is reasonable enough but with every other component: buttered greens £3; dauphinoise potatoes £3; foie gras £7.95; and red wine jus £2, I was parting with £41 for a main course – not to mention wine, water or dessert!

It’s worth noting that cheaper meals are available and they also offer a set lunch menu which is very reasonable. 2 courses for £12.95 and 3 courses for a mere £15.95.

It wasn’t me paying so I happily ordered the chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream, (£5.95) for dessert. This was perfect. Light sponge yielding under my spoon giving way to velvety chocolate. This, along with the ice cream provided a perfect end to the meal – and without being overly sweet either.



With Côtes du Rhône 100% Grenache Julien Mus (£24.95) and a double espresso for £3.75 it would have been cheaper for me to have eaten at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester – and they have 3 Michelin stars!

Despite the cost, Pier64 is an excellent steakhouse cooking top notch food. I’m looking forward to going again though I’ll most probably order something cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment